Every Single Motown 'A-Side': A Long Complex Story
Episode date - September 25, 2009
Wow, what a ride this has been. When we decided that we cover Motown by playing each and every A-side released by the label, I don’t we understood just how long it would take us.
As I recall, I originally estimated that we might need about thirty shows. Here, with our 65th show (!!) we have finally completed our task. It has been a long and complex story, but we certainly learned a lot in the process and heard a LOT of music that was previously unfamiliar.
That being said, we are not quite finished with Motown yet. We will spend three more weeks covering the high points of the label’s history from 1972-1992.
Meanwhile, here are tracks from today’s show, our last that is dedicated to playing “Every Single Motown A-Side”
1) Hey Lordy – Bobby Taylor
2) I Want to Go Back There Again – Thelma Houston
3) Hey Big Brother – Rare Earth
4) Way Back Home – Jr. Walker & the All Stars
5) We All End Up in Boxes – The Rustix
6) I Can’t Believe You’re Really Leaving – Virgil Henry
7) You Make Your Own Heaven and Hell Right Here on Earth – The Undisputed Truth
8) Make Me the Woman You Come Home To – Gladys Knight & the Pips
9) Sugar Daddy – The Jackson 5
10) Sing a Simple Song of Freedom – Bobby Darin
11) The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived – Dave Prince
12) What Christmas Means to Me – Stevie Wonder