The Time Was 1973
The Time Was Fall 1973
episode date - June 20, 2012
For the past two weeks, we’ve been focusing on a few hit singles from June 1972, and I spent some time talking about the fading relevance of the hit single in relation to albums.
That got me to thinking that maybe I ought to pull out a few of the albums that featured some of the singles, and see if those tracks hold up as well. For instance, commercial radio still plays “Rocket Man” and “Take It Easy” ad nauseum, but the album cuts haven’t gotten nearly as much attention. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
I for one cam honestly admit that I haven’t played any of these three albums in over a decade, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I no longer appreciate the music, only that I have found other things to occupy my listening time.
So, let’s consider this a simple experiment in relevance. You can decide for yourself if these album tracks are best forgotten, or if perhaps it would be nice to hear these on the radio from time to time instead of the same old hit that has been played for the past forty years.
Featured tracks include;
1) I Think I’m Going to Kill Myself – Elton John (“Honky Chateau”)
2) Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters – Elton John (“Honky Chateau”)
3) Hercules – Elton John (“Honky Chateau”)
4) Chug All Night - The Eagles (“The Eagles”)
5) Train Leaves Here This Morning - The Eagles (“The Eagles”)
6) Peaceful Easy Feeling - The Eagles (“The Eagles”)
7) Gutter Cat vs. the Jets – Alice Cooper (“School’s Out”)
8) My Stars – Alice Cooper (“School’s Out”)
9) Public Animal #9 – Alice Cooper (“School’s Out”)
10) Alma Mater – Alice Cooper (“School’s Out”)
CLICK HERE to listen to the full show!