Top 500 of the Top 40: #8 - May 1964
Top 500 of the Top 40: #7 - April 1964
David Bowie 1947-2016... R.I.P.
Top 500 of the Top 40: #6 - January 1964
Top 500 Albums of the Top 40: #5 March 1964
episode date - February 29, 2012
This show is a study in perspective, or maybe it’s payback, although I can’t say exactly why I would want to deliberately torture our audience…
The point I’m trying to make is that for the past few years, we’ve gone quite deep in our coverage of music from approximately 1964-1974 – what I consider the golden decade for popular music, and other era have suffered a shortage in attention. Some people complain that I am too biased, or too old, to appreciate subsequent music. I, of course, argue, that my age has nothing to do with it, as I still buy plenty of new music- so much that I can rarely listen to it more than once. I do not argue about the bias, though, because I obviously do favor music from the above referenced time period. However, even I will admit that I would probably need to change the name of our show to “American Hit Radio of the 60s and 70s” if I keep it up, so that is where the perspective comes in.
Now we are going to take a look at a few singles that were released 30 years ago, in the Winter of 1982. Perhaps this will help to make my point. Hold on to your hats, and hold your nose, because today’s playlist includes;
1) General Hospi-Tale – The Afternoon Delights
2) Physical- Olivia Newton-John
3) Hooked on Classics – The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
4) Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic – The Police (They can’t ALL suck…)
5) Our Lips Are Sealed – The Go-Gos (another good one)
6) Pacman Fever- Buckner and Garcia
7) I’ve Never Been to Me – Charlene
8) Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk – Dr. Hook
9) Waiting on a Friend- The Rolling Stones (some relief – end on a high note…)
CLICK HERE to listen to the full show!